(Chinese Evergreen Magnolia ) A beautiful and rare, evergreen plant native to Yunnan Province in China, Magnolia delavayi is known for its captivating, large (up to 18 - 20 cm across) white flowers in late summer.
Supplied Size: 3L pots (seed grown, 3 - 4 years old, 30 - 50 cm tall)
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A beautiful and rare, evergreen plant native to Yunnan Province in China, Magnolia delavayi is known for its captivating, large (up to 18 - 20 cm across) white flowers in late summer. On an established plant, the cool green leaves grow to be among the largest of any evergreen plant (up to 30 cm long).
A lovely and handsome garden tree which does best in a warm, sheltered position!
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Magnolia delavayi grows well over chalk.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Magnolia delavayi requires protection from strong winter winds and in the U.K. is perhaps best grown against a sunny wall.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small or eventually medium sized, rounded, branching tree.
- Height: 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- Spread: 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- Notes: Magnolia delavayi can on occasion show some foliage damage and die back after a very cold spell in winter. It does however usually recover well from such damage in the following year.
- Important: This plant can be damaged or killed in severe winters without protection and so it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
You might also like