Our nursery and gardens are open to all visitors and our mail order service is running as normal. You do not need to book your visit to our nursery or gardens.
Bluebell Arboretum & Nursery - Woodland Gardens
Annwell Lane, Smisby, Ashby de la Zouch, Derbyshire, LE65 2TA, Tel: 01530 413700
One of the finest collections of unusual trees and shrubs in Derbyshire, planting in our beautiful woodland garden was started in 1992 and the gardens now cover an area of nine acres.
We are a RHS partner garden and although most of the large trees are still young with the majority at under 22 years of age, many of the shrubs and smaller trees already show their full beauty of form and habit and the arboretum has become a beautiful woodland walk with rare plant treasures on display to entice the real enthusiast!
There are many educational signs on display giving detailed information about the unusual plants in the gardens. Most of the plants in the gardens are available for sale from the adjoining nursery as young specimens and expert staff are on hand to give information and advice.
* We do not have a cafe but picnics may be taken into the gardens with you (rubbish must be taken away with you please!)
* Click here for admission charges
* Click here for opening times and how to find us
* Large car park on site with space for a coach.
* Toilets (inc disabled accessible) available on site.
* Guide dogs only.
* The garden has grass paths & walking boots or wellies will be necessary during or after periods of very wet weather! The grass paths are wheelchair accessible in dry weather but can be difficult when wet or frozen. If you wish to check the current conditions before visiting please call our office on (01530) 413700.
IMPORTANT - Please be aware that despite our name, we are not a bluebell wood! We are called Bluebell Arboretum and Nursery as when the nursery started in 1979, we were in a different location right next to a pub called the Bluebell in the local village of Blackfordby. As we shared a car park with the pub it seemed (all those years ago!) sensible to use a similar name so that visitors could find us easily. We do have a huge collection of unusual trees and shrubs on display in the gardens but alas, few bluebells so far.
Please do not visit us to see Bluebells alone, you will be disappointed! The best local place to see them is probably the nearby National Trust property - Calke Abbey.