Magnolia acuminata 'Blue Opal'
A stunning small tree once established, Magnolia acuminata 'Blue Opal' has distinctive flowers in late spring which are blue whilst in bud, opening to dark yellow.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
Newly planted in the gardens here, Magnolia acuminata 'Blue Opal' has unusual blueish-green flower buds which gradually open to reveal dark yellow petals. Grows as a shrub in the short term or eventually a small tree.
Best blue flower bud colour will generally be seen if planted in a position with plenty of light but shade from direct midday sunlight. To much sunlight all day will not harm the plant but you may find buds are more yellow in colour.
- Position: Light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: Blue - yellow
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: A small rounded, branching tree.
- Height: up to 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft).
- Spread: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Spring