- On sale!
(Chusan Palm or Windmill Palm) Native to parts of Central and Eastern China, Trachycarpus fortunei has handsome large leaves and is the only palm hardy inland in the United Kingdom.
Supplied Size: 3L containers (seed grown plants, 4 years old, 30 - 40 cm tall)
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
Native to parts of Central and Eastern China, Trachycarpus fortunei has handsome large leaves and is the only palm hardy inland in the United Kingdom. The leaves are fan-shaped, dark green and large, sometimes up to 100 cm (3 ft) wide on an established specimen . The leaves sit atop a fibrous, hairy, brown trunk.
Trachycarpus fortunei is a lovely yet slow growing garden tree with an exotic appearance. Not for instant gratification but lovely once established and can be grown well in a pot for many years if required.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Trachycarpus fortunei requires protection from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Yellowish-white
- Rate of Growth: Very slow.
- Habit: Eventually a small tree with a narrow, upright habit.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Notes: Trachycarpus fortunei is very slow growing and can take 100 years to reach the above height.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Fruit - Ornamental, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Evergreen, Honey Fungus Resistant, Habit - Narrow
You might also like