(Giant Reed) Arundo donax is a majestic, tall perennial grass which is a native of the Camargue, a huge, marshy river delta in south France.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A majestic, perennial native of the Camargue, a huge, marshy river delta in south France. Arundo donax is a tall plant, growing into an imposing, elegant stand many dwarfs many species of bamboo. The stem material is both flexible and strong enough to be used as a reed for woodwind instruments such as the oboe, bassoon and clarinet.
- Position: Sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Tall, elegant grass.
- Height: up to 4 m (13 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft)
- Notes: The old stems should be cut down to the ground in late winter each year. Although known as an invasive weed in warmer parts of the world, we find that in Derbyshire, U.K. it spreads very slowly if at all.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Grass - Large (over 6 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Screening/Hedge, Habit - Architectural
You might also like