(Giant Reed) Arundo donax is a majestic, tall perennial grass which is a native of the Camargue, a huge, marshy river delta in south France.
This plant is currently unavailable and we sadly do not have any more in the pipeline for the near future. It will be a long wait but please enter your email address below if you are interested in this plant once back in stock.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
A majestic, perennial native of the Camargue, a huge, marshy river delta in south France. Arundo donax is a tall plant, growing into an imposing, elegant stand many dwarfs many species of bamboo. The stem material is both flexible and strong enough to be used as a reed for woodwind instruments such as the oboe, bassoon and clarinet.
- Position: Sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Tall, elegant grass.
- Height: up to 4 m (13 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft)
- Notes: The old stems should be cut down to the ground in late winter each year. Although known as an invasive weed in warmer parts of the world, we find that in Derbyshire, U.K. it spreads very slowly if at all.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Large (2m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Screening/Hedge, Habit - Architectural