Liquidambar styraciflua 'Manon'
(Variegated Sweet Gum) A relatively slow growing selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Manon' has green leaves with a striking creamy-white margin, turning vivid shades of purple and red before falling in autumn.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A relatively slow growing selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Manon' has green leaves with a striking creamy-white margin, turning vivid shades of purple and red before falling in autumn. Gradually develops into a lovely small conical tree.
Best in full sun or light, dappled shade ideally with some shelter from strong winds. Slow growing an not for instant gratification!
- Position: Full sun or dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Manon' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well. Prefers shelter from strong wind.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Conical, upright shrub in the short term or eventually slender small tree.
- Height: up to 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Foliage - Variegated, Rare and Unusual