Catalpa bignonioides 'Variegata'
(Variegated Bean Tree) An unusual cultivar, Catalpa bignonioides 'Variegata' grows to be a very small tree with large heart-shaped, creamy yellow and green variegated leaves.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
An unusual cultivar, Catalpa bignonioides 'Variegata' grows to be a very small tree with large heart-shaped, creamy yellow and green variegated leaves. The fresh leaves in spring are usually most colourful, turning more green later in the years.
Established plants will have panicles of lilac-white flowers in a warm year however this plant can also be pruned hardy yearly to produce a really striking display of huge leaves.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the U.K. and grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White with occasional yellow and purple markings
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Small tree with a branching, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft)
- Spread: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Foliage - Variegated, Honey Fungus Resistant