(Red Hook Sedge) A handsome New Zealand native, Uncinia rubra is a colourful grass and a real 'show stopper' for a front of border position.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
Narrow flower spikes, produced in mid to late summer are dark brown and are barely noticed against the vivid foliage. Red hook sedge also makes a good container plant.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained yet moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Uncinia rubra grows to be a small, clump forming grass.
- Height: 30 cm (1 ft)
- Spread: 30 cm (1 ft)
- Notes: Uncinia rubra is most effective when planted in small groups.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Small (under 3 ft) tall
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot
You might also like