(Chinese Evergreen Magnolia) Magnolia delavayi is a rare, evergreen small tree in the UK grown for its beautiful large white flowers in late summer.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful and rare, evergreen plant native to Yunnan Province in China, Magnolia delavayi is known for its captivating, large (up to 18 - 20 cm across) white flowers in late summer. On an established plant, the cool green leaves grow to be among the largest of any evergreen plant (up to 30 cm long).
Magnolia delavayi is a handsome garden tree which grows best in a warm, sheltered areas. Not suitable for cold, exposed, windy gardens!
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Magnolia delavayi grows well over chalk.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Requires protection from cold winter winds and in severe winters.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small in most parts of the UK or eventually medium sized tree in very mild areas, upright when young, gradually forming a rounded, branching habit.
- Height: 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- Spread: 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- Notes: Magnolia delavayi can on occasion show some foliage damage and die back after a very cold spell in winter. It does however usually recover well from such damage in the following year.
- Important: This plant can be damaged or killed in severe winters without some protection or if planted in a poor position. It is therefore not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Evergreen, Rare and Unusual
You might also like