Fagus sylvatica 'Black Swan'
(Purple-leaved Weeping Beech) Fagus sylvatica 'Black Swan' is a small and elegant weeping tree with cascading branches once established and handsome dark purple/red leaves.
Free delivery for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Scottish Highlands . We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Secure payment by VISA / Mastercard with Sagepay (Opayo)
Fagus sylvatica 'Black Swan' is a small and elegant weeping tree with cascading branches once established and handsome dark purple/red leaves. The colourful leaves turn shades of bronze and brown before falling in autumn.
For best growth and foliage colour plant in a position with plenty of sun and use a tall bamboo cane or similar to support the leading shoot. Train the leader up the cane tying it in every few months and allow the tree to grow to whatever end height you wish over time.
Once it reaches the height you are happy with do not tie in the leader any more and it will cascade down from that height and start to fill out with branches.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Fagus sylvatica 'Black Swan' grows to be a small, reasonably narrow weeping tree.
- Height: up to 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils
- Special Features
- Habit - Weeping, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red