Toona sinensis 'Flamingo'
(Chinese Mahogany) A rare and stunning tree, Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' has vivid salmon pink young leaves in spring which turn tint with yellow and turn green as they age.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A rare and stunning tree, Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' has vivid salmon pink young leaves in spring which turn tint with yellow and turn green as they age. Established plants may have clusters of white flowers in summer which are popular with insects.
Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' requires a sunny, warm position with shelter from wind and frost protection for the young foliage in spring when young. Avoid planting in cold, windy gardens or in frost pockets.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade (planting in a hot, sunny position will increase the likelyhood of seeing flowers once established).
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy, however it is very susceptible to spring frost. Requires warm, sheltered position and protection when young.
- Flowering Period: July.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate here in Derbyshire (more vigorous & taller in mild areas)
- Habit: Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' grows to be a large often multi-stemmed shrub or very small tree.
- Height: 3 - 5 m (10 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (3 ft)
- Notes: Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' is a tricky plant to grow well in the U.K. and is best attempted by experienced gardeners who are prepared to protect it from late spring frosts.
- Please be aware that Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' can be a fickle and difficult plant if caught by frost or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Foliage - Unusual Shape, Rare and Unusual, Foliage - Purple/Red