- On sale!
(Chinese Catalpa) Flowering regularly as a young plant here in our gardens, Catalpa ovata grows to be a small tree covered with upright panicles of foxglove-like, pale yellowish-white flowers in mid to late summer.
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Highlands
Free delivery for orders over £75*
You can also order by calling our office on 01530 413700
Flowering regularly as a young plant here in our gardens, Catalpa ovata grows to be a small tree covered with upright panicles of foxglove-like, pale yellowish-white flowers in mid to late summer. The flowers are popular with bees and other insects and are followed by long pods which hang from the branches in late summer & autumn. The leaves are large, dark green and ovate (egg-shaped).
Best display of flowers if planted in a position with plenty of sun and ideally, a little shelter from strong winds.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the UK and generally grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Catalpa ovata grows to be a very small tree with a spreading, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Alkaline, Soil Type: Not Fussy, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowering in Summer, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Rare and Unusual, Honey Fungus Resistant, Foliage - Unusual Shape
- On sale!