Quercus coccinea 'Splendens'
(Scarlet Oak) Quercus coccinea 'Splendens' is a large, vigorous oak tree famous for its majestic habit and glowing, rich-scarlet autumn colours.
Free delivery for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Scottish Highlands . We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Secure payment by VISA / Mastercard with Sagepay (Opayo)
A large, vigorous oak tree famous for its majestic habit and glowing, rich-scarlet autumn colours. There seem to be several clones of this plant in cultivation, some of which turn a disappointing, rusty brown colour in autumn.
Our Quercus coccinea ' Splendens' is an excellent clone, with the leaves turning brilliant fiery-red on acid soil. A superb large garden tree for bright red autumn colour!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. The autumn colour of Quercus coccinea ' Splendens' is somewhat dependant upon the soil pH and the foliage will produce a better, stronger autumn colour in more acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Quercus coccinea ' Splendens' grows to be a large tree with a narrow crown once established.
- Height: 25 m (82 ft)
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual