(Hop Tree) A very elegant hardy tree, Ptelea trifoliata has clusters of small yet heavily scented, yellow-green flowers in early summer once established.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A distinctive tree native to Southern Canada and the Eastern United States, Ptelea trifoliata has dark green, trifoliate leaves and clusters of small, yellow-green flowers in early summer. These flowers have a lovely honeysuckle-like fragrance and are followed by masses of curious elm-like fruit after a good warm summer.
Ptelea trifoliata is an unusual and eye-catching garden tree once established!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: Yellowish-green
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Eventually a small branching tree with a rounded crown.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: Ptelea trifoliata comes into leaf in late spring and is an ideal choice of tree for an area subject to severe late frosts.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Scented, Rare and Unusual, Wildlife Friendly - Bees