- Sold Out
Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo'
(Ninebark) An ornamental species native to Central and Eastern North America, Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' is a flowering shrub with superb, rich-chocolate purple coloured leaves all summer.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for P&P to Highlands & Islands
Order before 1pm on 21/12/22 for Christmas Delivery
An ornamental species native to Central and Eastern North America, Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' is a flowering shrub with superb, rich-chocolate purple coloured leaves all summer. This dark foliage is an excellent backdrop for masses of white flowers in mid-summer.
A magnificent foliage plant, this looks particularly good when planted as part of a mixed border and makes a striking foil for plants with white, silver or golden leaves.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil (avoid waterlogged areas).
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized, densely branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft)
- Notes: A specimen of Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 2.5 m and a spread of 4 m after 12 years.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Windy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Foliage - Purple/Red, Suitable for Containers, Screening/Hedge
- On sale!
- On sale!