Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow'
Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow' is a rare small to medium sized tree suited to a sunny, sheltered site with superb rose red/orange autumn colour once established.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Formosa Sweetgum) New to us, Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow' grows to be a handsome small to medium sized tree in the UK with rose red/orange autumn colour and purple tinted fresh growth in spring. The summer leaves are dark green in colour.
In the UK, Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow' is hardy but most suited to a warm, suny position with shelter from cold wind. Not suitable for very exposed areas.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Avoid, cold, windy areas.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Liquidambar formosana 'Afterglow' grows to be a small to medium sized branching tree.
- Height: 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft).
- Spread: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft).
- Notes: The above height and spread is a good estimate for the Midlands. In the south of the U.K. in a warm area this may grow to be a slightly larger trees and in the north of the U.K. smaller.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red
You might also like