Liquidambar styraciflua 'Silver King'
(Variegated Sweet Gum) Liquidambar styraciflua 'Silver King' is an attractive small to medium sized tree with bright green leaves which have a pretty creamy-white leaf margin in spring and summer.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An attractive small to medium sized tree with bright green leaves which have a pretty creamy-white leaf margin in spring and summer. In the autumn these leaves become quite colourful and turn very dark shades of plum purple and red before falling!
The variegated nature of the leaves makes this Liquidambar stand out well against dark backgrounds.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Silver King' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small or eventually medium sized, branching tree.
- Height: 12 - 15 m (40 - 50 ft).
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m), Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Foliage - Variegated