Liquidambar styraciflua 'Fastigiata'
(Fastigiate Sweet Gum) A rare tree with a a narrow upright habit, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Fastigiata' has dark green leaves through spring / summer, followed by vivid dark orange and red autumn colours once established.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for P&P to Highlands & Islands
Order before 1pm on 21/12/22 for Christmas Delivery
A rare tree with a a narrow upright habit, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Fastigiata' has dark green leaves through spring / summer, followed by vivid dark orange and red autumn colours once established.
Although not as narrow as the Liquidambar 'Slender Silhouette' this nevertheless grows to be a handsome tree which is ideal for gardens with limited space.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Fastigiata' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Fastigiata' grows to be a medium sized tree with a narrow, conical crown.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Autumn Colour