Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon'
(Sweet Gum) A famous selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' is a medium sized tree with fiery autumn colour that appears relatively early, starting in early September and lasting until late October or November.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
A famous selection of Liquidambar with fiery autumn colour that appears relatively early, starting in early September and lasting until late October. The green summer leaves turn a brilliant orange, red and yellow before they fall.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' is a handsome and reliable tree with long lasting autumn colour, suitable for garden or woodland planting.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large tree with a rounded crown once established.
- Height: 20 m (65 ft) / up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft) / up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large (15m+), Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour