Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon'
(Sweet Gum) A famous selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' is a medium sized tree with fiery autumn colour that appears relatively early, starting in early September and lasting until late October or November.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A famous selection of Liquidambar with fiery autumn colour that appears relatively early, starting in early September and lasting until late October. The green summer leaves turn a brilliant orange, red and yellow before they fall.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' is a handsome and reliable tree with long lasting autumn colour, suitable for garden or woodland planting.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Worplesdon' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large tree with a rounded crown once established.
- Height: 20 m (65 ft) / up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft) / up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour
You might also like