Gymnocladus dioica is a rare very handsome, small to medium sized tree with huge pinnate leaves and golden yellow autumn colour.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
(Kentucky Coffee Tree) One of the most elegant of all hardy trees, Gymnocladus dioica has large, pink tinted young leaves (80 - 100 cm long), turning green as they age and glorious shades of yellow in autumn before falling. New branches have a ghostly white bloom in winter.
Although having greenish-white flowers, this tree rarely flowers in the United Kingdom as we generally do not have hot enough summers. A striking ornamental tree suitable for most gardens and woodland areas.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any reasonably well drained, fertile soil. Gymnocladus dioica is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Very hardy, but will produce better quality leaves with a little shelter from severe winds.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Greenish-white
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Gymnocladus dioica grows to be a small elegantly branching tree.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: If planted in a hot area where it will flower, this plant can produce handsome seed pods although both a female and a male plant are required as Gymnocladus are not self-fertile.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Honey Fungus Resistant, Habit - Architectural
You might also like