Fagus sylvatica 'Asterix'
(Dwarf Beech) Fagus sylvatica 'Asterix' is a rare, very slow growing, dwarf, rounded shrub with small green leaves and an architectural habit once established.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
New to us, Fagus sylvatica 'Asterix' is an excellent dwarf selection of beech which grows with a distinctive heavily branched, rounded habit. The leaves are small and dark green, turning bronze in autumn before falling.
Fagus sylvatica 'Asterix' is tough, hardy and very slow growing, making it suitable for gardens with limited space. It can also be grown as a very attractive container plant for many years in sun or shade.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Very slow.
- Habit: Fagus sylvatica 'Asterix' grows to be a small or eventually medium sized shrub.
- Height: eventually 1.5 - 2 m (5 - 6 ft) / or up to 1 m (3 ft) in 10 years
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft) / up to 1 m (3 ft) in 10 years
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Habit - Architectural, Rare and Unusual, To grow in a pot