Fagus sylvatica 'Midnight Feather'
(Cut leaf Purple Beech) New to us, this is a superb small or eventually medium sized tree once established with handsome deeply cut leaves, dark purple red in Spring turning greenish-purple later on in summer.
New to us, this is a superb small tree once established with handsome deeply cut leaves, dark purple red in Spring turning greenish-purple later on in summer. Bronze and yellow autumn tints before the leaves fall in October.
Best foliage colour when planted out in a position with plenty of sun. Can be pruned to shape if required.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Fagus sylvatica 'Midnight Feather' grows to be a small, branching tree.
- Height: up to 10 - 12 m (30 - 40 ft).
- Spread: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m), Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features
- Foliage - Purple/Red, Foliage - Unusual Shape, Suitable for Containers