(Shaggy Wood Fern) A handsome fern, Dryopteris atrata is semi-evergreen with clumps of arching bright green fronds and black, scaly stems.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A handsome fern, Dryopteris atrata is semi-evergreen with clumps of arching bright green fronds and black, scaly stems. This is a a superb fern for a shady spot or woodland planting.
Dryopteris atrata can also be grown very successfully in a container, provided it is in a shady position.
- Position: Light, dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist (but well drained), fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Dryopteris atrata grows to be a small to medium sized, clump forming fern.
- Height: up to 60 - 80 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- Spread: up to 60 - 80 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Fern - Medium (0.6m - 1.2m), Fern - Small (less than 0.6m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Foliage - Unusual Shape, Habit - Architectural