(Shuttlecock or Ostrich Fern) Matteuccia struthiopteris is a handsome deciduous, hardy fern with upright bright green leaves, narrow initially which resemble ostrich feathers once fully out.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Matteuccia struthiopteris is a handsome deciduous, hardy fern with upright bright green leaves, narrow initially which resemble arching ostrich feathers once fully out.
Most suited to a position in partial to heavy shade with shelter from cold winds. very attractive when planted in small groups.
- Position: Light, dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. May require protection in very cold winters and not suitable for cold, exposed gardens.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Matteuccia struthiopteris grows to be a large, clump forming fern.
- Height: up to 125 - 150 cm (4 - 5 ft)
- Spread: up to 60 - 80 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Fern - Large (1.2m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Suitable for Containers, Rare and Unusual, Foliage - Unusual Shape