(Isu Tree or Winter-hazel) Rare in the UK, Distylium racemosum is an elegant large evergreen shrub with dark purple-red spring flowers.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to Southern Japan, this attractive and rare evergreen plant grows into a tree in its natural habitat, yielding valuable hard timber. In the United Kingdom, Distylium racemosum grows somewhat more slowly and has dark green, glossy, leathery leaves all year round. In spring attractive, small, red, Hamamelis-like flowers with lurid purple stamens appear on the older branches.
An elegant evergreen, spring flowered plant.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, acid or neutral, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Distylium racemosum requires shelter from cold winter winds and will grow more quickly in mild areas of the U.K. Young growth can be damaged by very late, severe spring frosts, although it usually recovers well in the following year.
- Flowering Period: March - April.
- Flower Colour: Purplish-red
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Large, elegant, spreading shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: A specimen of Distylium racemosum, planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 1.5 m and a spread of 1.5 m after 8 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May)