Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea'
(Indian Bean Tree) Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea' is a beautiful and distinctly mop-headed, golden-leaved tree which can be found growing in the wild in Southern North America and parts of Central America.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 10 - 15 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea' is a beautiful and distinctly mop-headed, golden-leaved tree which can be found growing in the wild in Southern North America and parts of Central America. The leaves are large, soft, heart-shaped and golden-yellow, with the new foliage being flushed with purple.
When established this Catalpa will produce attractive panicles of white flowers with yellow and purple markings in a warm year. A colourful garden tree with eye-catching leaves!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the U.K. and grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White with occasional yellow and purple markings
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small tree with a branching, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread:6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: This Catalpa will grow in partial shade, but the leaves will be a lime green in colour rather than gold.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Gold/Yellow, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also like