(Indian Bean Tree) Catalpa bignonioides is a vigorous small to medium sized tree once established with large heart-shaped, dark green leaves and panicles of white flowers in mid to late summer.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Catalpa bignonioides is a vigorous small to medium sized tree once established with large heart-shaped, dark green leaves and panicles of white flowers in mid to late summer. These eye-catching flowers appear on established plants and have yellow and purple markings. Long bean pod like fruit appear after the flowers go over.
Best display of flowers once established will be seen if planted in a position with plenty of sun and heat!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the U.K. and grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White with occasional yellow and purple markings
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sized tree with a branching, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 12 - 15 m (40 - 50 ft)
- Spread: 12 - 150 m (40 - 50 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Flowers in Summer, Foliage - Unusual Shape