Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji'
(Himalayan birch) A rare Himalayan birch, Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji' has handsome peeling, dark chocolate-brown bark tinted dark red or orange in places with a creamy white bloom once established.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare Himalayan birch, Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji' has handsome peeling, dark chocolate-brown bark tinted dark red or orange in places with a creamy white bloom once established. If planted in a sunny spot, the peeling bark can appear to glow orange and gold when back-lit by the sun.
The bark does take several years to fully develop and this grows to be a medium sized tree once established. Avoid planting in areas prone to sitting wet over winter or waterlogging.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Betula utilis var. jacquemonti 'Mt Luoji' grows to be a medium sized, slender tree.
- Height: approx 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft)
- Spread: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems