- Sold Out
Acer japonicum 'Ruby'
(Japanese Maple) New to us, Acer japonicum 'Ruby' grows to be a small, deciduous tree with large, elegant leaves which are vibrant reddish-pink when they emerge in Spring, gradually turning bronze-green later in summer.
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Highlands
Free delivery for orders over £75*
You can also order by calling our office on 01530 413700
New to us, Acer japonicum 'Ruby' grows to be a small, deciduous tree with large, elegant leaves which are vibrant reddish-pink when they emerge in Spring, gradually turning bronze-green later in summer.. These leaves turn orange and purple in autumn before falling.
Best display of spring and autumn foliage colour once established if planted in a position with sun or light, dappled shade with shelter from strong winds.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, neutral or slightly acid, fertile soil. Acer japonicum 'Ruby' will produce stronger autumn colours in a slightly acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Ideally avoid east facing positions which have a risk of late spring frost as this can damage the young leaves.
- Rate of Growth: Slow initially and then slow/moderate.
- Habit: Acer japonicum 'Ruby' grows to be a large branching shrub in the short term or eventually a very small tree, upright when young, rounding once more mature.
- Height: up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large, Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Purple/Red, Rare and Unusual
- On sale!