Acer palmatum 'Moonfire'
(Japanese Maple) A handsome maple, Acer palmatum 'Moonfire' is similar to the better known 'Bloodgood' but with leaves that are usually more bright purple/red in the summer.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
A handsome maple, Acer palmatum 'Moonfire' is similar to the better known 'Bloodgood' but with leaves that are usually more bright purple/red in the summer. The leaves seem fairly resistant to summer scorch and the autumn colour is bright red or orange depending on the soil.
Acer palmatum 'Moonfire'is an excellent large shrub or very small tree in the long term for summer and autumn leaf colour. It can be grown in a container if required.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Acer palmatum 'Moonfire' will produce stronger autumn colours in a slightly acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer palmatum 'Moonfire' requires shelter from strong winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually an elegant large, reasonably upright, branching shrub or very small tree.
- Height: up to 5 m (16 ft) / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft) / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot
You might also like