Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'
(Japanese Maple) Grown for its attractive foliage, Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' has deeply divided dark purple leaves which turn shades of red in autumn before falling.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Grown for its attractive foliage, Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' has deeply divided dark purple leaves which turn shades of red in autumn before falling.
A pleasant and reliable small garden tree, Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' has a elegant, branching habit once established. Can also be grown very successfully in a large container if required.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' will produce stronger autumn colours in a slightly acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' requires shelter from strong winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually an elegant large, reasonably upright, branching shrub or very small tree.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft) / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot