One of the loveliest of all Snakebark maples, Acer tegmentosum has magnificent jade and silver striated bark, complimented in winter by striking mahogany coloured buds.
(Snakebark Maple or Manchurian Striped Maple) One of the loveliest of all Snakebark maples, Acer tegmentosum has magnificent jade and silver striated bark, complimented in winter by striking mahogany coloured buds. Unlike most other Snakebark maples, this plant is almost as spectacular in summer as it is in the depths of winter, with lush, large green leaves and an excellent display of bark. The leaves will also turn good shades of butter yellow in a crisp autumn.
A stunning maple with year round interest and a 'must have' for nearly any winter garden!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer tegmentosum requires shelter from strong winds and protection from severe late frosts.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small elegantly branching tree.
- Height: up to10 m (32 ft) / [up to 4 m (13 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark, Rare and Unusual