Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue'
(Comfrey) Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' is a tough, reliable flowering ground cover plant with some leaf cover through the winter and clumps of fresh leaves appearing from early spring.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A tough, reliable flowering ground cover plant with some leaf cover through the winter and clumps of fresh leaves appearing from early spring.
Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' has clusters of tubular flowers in late spring and a delicate bi-colour effect, with the pretty red buds opening to pale blue flowers. The flowers are popular with bees and other insects.
Later in the year after the flowers have faded, the foliage forms a soft and cool green carpet which is ideal for underplanting. A favourite for difficult spots in our woodland gardens!
- Position: Sun or shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' grows to be a spreading ground cover plant.
- Height: 45 cm (1 ft)
- Spread: 45 - 60 cm (1 - 2 ft)
- Notes: We plant large numbers of Symphytum here to cover areas of bare ground and reduce the need for weeding. If planting Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' to cover a large area within a reasonable time frame, we would suggest planting several at 50 - 75 cm (1 - 2 ft) apart
- How Much Sun
- Shade, Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Ground Cover, Herbaceous - Small (less than 0.6m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas, Site: Windy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Flowers in Spring, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Flowers in Summer