(Christmas Box) Popular evergreen shrub native to western China, Sarcococca confusa has glossy, dark-green leaves and masses of fragrant, cream-coloured flowers in midwinter.
Popular evergreen shrub native to western China, Sarcococca confusa has glossy, dark-green leaves and masses of fragrant, cream-coloured flowers in midwinter. These flowers are exceptionally well scented and flowering twigs may be cut and taken into the house for their lovely perfume.
Suitable in size for even the smallest of gardens and a particularly good choice of shrub for an area near a door where the flowers fragrance can be appreciated, it will also grow well in a large container or pot.
- Position: Sun or shade.
- Soil: Moist, well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: December - March.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sizes, densely branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- Notes: Sarcococca confusa can be pruned if necessary and can be grown as an unusual hedge.
- How Much Sun
- Shade, Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 1.5m), Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Flowers in Winter, Honey Fungus Resistant, Suitable for Containers, Evergreen, Scented, Screening/Hedge