(Cretan Brake) New to us, this is a compact deciduous fern with showy mid green leaves which have a variegated creamy-white centre. Can be grown well as a house plant in a large container.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
New to us, this is a compact deciduous fern with showy mid green leaves which have a variegated creamy-white centre.
Most suited to partial or heavy shade in warm, mild areas sheltered from cold winds.
- Position: Light, dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist (but well drained), fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Tolerates cold down to approx -1oC to -3oC but requires a mild, sheltered position and protection in cold winters. Can be grown in a container and moved into a greenhouse or similar over winter. Not at all suitable for cold or exposed areas.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Pteris nipponica grows to be a small clump forming fern.
- Height: up to 45 - 50 cm (1 - 2 ft)
- Spread: up to 45 - 50 cm (1 - 2 ft)
- Notes: Please be aware that Pteris nipponica can be damaged or killed in the winter by cold weather if not adequately protected and if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Fern - Small (less than 0.6m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Foliage - Unusual Shape, Habit - Architectural, Foliage - Variegated