Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'
(Switch Grass) Native to North America, this perennial, deciduous grass creates a stunning architectural display from early summer through until winter when its dried stems and flowers stand pale gold against grey skies.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Native to North America, this perennial, deciduous grass creates a stunning architectural display from early summer through until winter when its dried stems and flowers stand pale gold against grey skies.
'Heavy Metal' is a particularly upright form and at 1 m in height slightly shorter than most, with narrow green leaves liberally tinged with dark steely grey.
The seedheads appear in late summer as a diffuse cloud of reddish purple spikelets. Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' is a very attractive grass suitable for mixed borders.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' grows to be a small to medium sized, clump forming grass.
- Height: 100 cm (3 ft)
- Spread: 60 cm (2 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Grass - Medium (3 - 6 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Blue/Silver, To grow in a pot
You might also like