(Oriental Ostrich Fern) Matteuccia orientalis is an ornamental, deciduous, hardy fern native to China and Japan which has eye-catching bright green, pinnate (feather-like) fronds.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Matteuccia orientalis is an ornamental, deciduous fern native to China and Japan which has eye-catching bright green, pinnate (feather-like) fronds. Sterile fronds arch towards the ground whilst the distinctive fertile fronds will be more upright.
Most suited to a position in partial to heavy shade with shelter from cold winds. Not really suitable for open and exposed areas or frost pockets
- Position: Light, dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. May require protection in very cold winters and not suitable for cold, exposed gardens.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Matteuccia orientalis grows to be a medium sized, spreading fern.
- Height: up to 60 - 80 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- Spread: up to 60 - 80 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Shade
- Mature Size
- Herbaceous - Medium
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large