Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival'
(Sweet Gum) An unusual selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' grows to be a small or eventually medium sized tree and gives one of the finest display of red autumn colour in our gardens.
An unusual tree, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' gives one of the finest display of autumn colour in our gardens. The leaves are a bright green in spring and summer before turning a rich, burgundy-red in autumn.
Not only is the autumn colour excellent, it also lasts for a long time, often from mid September well into November. A spectacular garden tree, the Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' is on of our most popular autumn colour trees.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate .
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' will grow to be a medium sized branching tree.
- Height: up to 15 - 18 m (50 - 60 ft) / or up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft) in 10 years
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft) / or up to 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft) in 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour