Liquidambar styraciflua 'Black Beauty'
(Sweet Gum) New to us, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Black Beauty' is a conical upright tree with dark green summer leaves and dark purple-red autumn colour.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
New to us, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Black Beauty' is a conical upright tree with dark green summer leaves and dark purple-red autumn colour. The young leaves sometimes develop purple tints in spring as they emerge.
Best autumn colour once established if planted in a position with plenty of sun and lime-free soil.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Black Beauty' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually a large, branching tree.
- Height: 15 - 18 m (50 - 60 ft).
- Spread: 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour