Liquidambar styraciflua 'Midwest Sunset'
(Sweet Gum) Liquidambar styraciflua 'Midwest Sunset' is a superb medium sized tree with great autumn colour, the leaves turning a rich yellow and deep red in autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Midwest Sunset' is a superb medium sized tree with great autumn colour, the leaves turning a rich yellow and deep red in autumn. Summer foliage is dark green.
A hardy, medium sized tree with best autumn colour usually seen if planted in plenty of sunlight with some shelter from strong winds.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Midwest Sunset' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Midwest Sunset' grows to be a medium sized tree with a neat, pyramidal form.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour