Ilex x altaclerensis 'Camelliifolia'
1(Camellia-leaved Holly ) Ilex x altaclerensis 'Camelliifolia' is a free berrying, female holly with almost completely smooth, dark green leaves.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A favourite plant of the late landscape architect Dame Brenda Colvin, this free berrying, female holly has almost completely smooth, dark green leaves. These leaves take on a lovely burnished-purple hue in the winter months. Established plants have excellent displays of large and colourful red berries in autumn.
A pyramidal large shrub or small tree if planted alone, Ilex x altaclerensis 'Camelliifolia' is probably the finest cultivar of holly to grow as a formal hedge. Usually slow growing initially and not for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained or moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow when young then moderate.
- Habit: Ilex x altaclerensis 'Camelliifolia' grows to be a large, densely branching shrub or small tree which can be pruned hard if required.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft) if grown as a tree but can be pruned to any size.
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: Ilex x altaclerensis 'Camelliifolia' tends to be slow growing until established then more vigorous.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Suitable for Containers, Evergreen, Screening/Hedge