Cornus kousa 'National'
(Flowering Dogwood) An unusual vase-shaped large shrub or very small tree once established, Cornus kousa 'National' has masses of large, creamy-white flower bracts in early summer once established.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual vase-shaped large shrub or very small tree once established, Cornus kousa 'National' has masses of large, creamy-white flower bracts in early summer once established. The flower bracts are followed by eye-catching red fruit in late summer (in a hot year). The leaves bronze-green initially, dark green in summer, turning orange and purple-red before falling in autumn.
Cornus kousa 'National' will usually produce its best display of flower bracts if planted in a position with plenty of sun.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus kousa 'National' grows to be a vase-shaped large shrub or eventually small tree.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of Cornus kousa 'National' is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas, Site: Windy, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Suitable for Containers, Autumn Colour, Flowers in Summer