Cornus alba 'Spaethii'
(Dogwood) Cornus alba 'Spaethii' is a handsome shrub with distinctive green and gold variegated leaves and young stems which turn bright red in winter.
*Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands
Free delivery for orders over £75*
Alternatively order by calling our office on 01530 413700
Cornus alba 'Spaethii' is a handsome shrub with distinctive green and gold variegated leaves and young stems which turn bright red in winter. The leaves have red and purple tints before falling in autumn. best display of winter stem colour if pruned hard in early Spring.
Can be planted in groups to give winter colour to a large area and the variegated leaves look great in sun or partial shade.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Cornus alba 'Spaethii' grows to be a large shrub, smaller if pruned back yearly.
- Height: 1 - 1.5m (3 - 5 ft) if pruned yearly or 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) if unpruned.
- Spread: 1 - 1.5 m (3 - 5 ft) if pruned yearly or 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) if unpruned.
- Pruning: In our opinion, this plant is most attractive if pruned hard to about 30 - 40 cm above the ground early each spring. This will prevent it getting to large and rejuvenate the plant so the bright coloured stems appear each year.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium, Shrub - Large
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Not Fussy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Colourful Bark or Stems, Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Variegated