Cornus amomum 'Blue Cloud'
(Silky Dogwood) An unusual dogwood native to North America which has purple/red stems and masses of very handsome blue berries in late summer or autumn.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
An unusual dogwood native to North America which has purple/red stems and masses of very handsome blue berries in late summer or autumn. The leaves are mid green in summer and have delightful purple/orange/red tints before falling in autumn.
Cornus amomum 'Blue Cloud' is a tough, hardy shrub growing best in a position with full sun or light, dappled shade. Benefits from being pruned back hard each year in early Spring.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Cornus amomum 'Blue Cloud' grows to be a large shrub, smaller if pruned back yearly.
- Height: 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft) if unpruned.
- Spread: 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft) if unpruned.
- Pruning: In our opinion, this plant is most attractive if pruned hard to about 30 - 40 cm above the ground early each spring. This will prevent it getting to large and rejuvenate the plant so the bright coloured stems appear each year.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Fruit - Ornamental
You might also like