Cornus controversa 'Candlelight'
(Golden Wedding Cake tree) This delightful, rare wedding cake tree is similar in growth and habit to a standard Cornus controversa 'Variegata' only with pure golden-yellow leaves in Spring.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
This delightful, rare wedding cake tree is similar in growth and habit to a standard Cornus controversa 'Variegata' only with pure golden-yellow leaves in Spring. These leaves are a fantastic colour and stay golden for several weeks before slowly fading back to a darker yellow-green later in the year.
This is a new take on one of the classic garden plants and will develop a strongly tiered habit as it matures, making it a excellent and very ornamental addition to a garden or woodland area.
- Position: Partial shade & shelter from wind. Please be aware that the leaves of Cornus controversa 'Candlelight' can scorch if planted in a very sunny position!
- Soil: Any reasonably well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus controversa 'Candlelight ' grows to be a large shrub or in many years, a small tree with a handsome tiered shape once established.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft) / [up to 2.5m (8 ft) in ten years]
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) / [2m (6 ft) in ten years]
- Pruning: After planting, look for a strongly growing stem developing after about two to four years, perhaps growing at an odd angle but obviously much more vigorous than the normal shoots.
Train this stem vertically (usually up a thin bamboo cane or similar) to form the trunk and basis of the tiered structure. Some plants occasionally produce two or even three of these vigorous "leaders", in this case remove all but the most central one.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Gold/Yellow
You might also like