Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes'
(Variegated Flowering Dogwood)A beautiful and unusual introduction from North America, Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes' has elegant, cream edged leaves and prolific, large white flower bracts in early summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A beautiful and unusual introduction from North America, Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes' has elegant, cream edged leaves and prolific, large white flower bracts in early summer. In the autumn the cream variegation on the foliage takes on very attractive pink tints (shown in the photo) before falling. After a hot summer it is covered with red-orange, raspberry-like fruit.
Probably most spectacular if planted in a position with plenty of light where it can be viewed against a dark backdrop.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes' grows to be a large shrub in the short term or eventually small tree with a dense, branching crown.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of this Cornus is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Variegated, To grow in a pot, Rare and Unusual