Cornus x rutgersensis 'Aurora' (Rutban)
(Flowering Dogwood) Cornus x rutgersensis 'Aurora' is a superb small tree once established with masses of large, overlapping white flower bracts in mid summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Introduced from North America, Cornus x rutgersensis 'Aurora' is an exceptionally beautiful selection with masses of large, overlapping white flower bracts in mid summer. The flowering bracts stand out very well against the foliage. On a mature plant, these bracts can be so dense that the leaves can be difficult to spot!
The leaves are dark green and turn colourful shades of orange, red or yellow before falling in autumn. Cornus x rutgersensis 'Aurora' is a fascinating large shrub or eventually small tree.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. In the United Kingdom, Cornus x rutgerensis 'Aurora' is perfectly hardy as long as it recieves plenty of summer heat to ripen the new growth. In cold or exposed, windy areas, this plant would benefit from being planted in more shelter, preferably near a south facing wall or fence.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus x rutgerensis 'Aurora' grows to be a large shrub or eventually small tree with a branching and sometimes slightly tiered form.
- Height: 6 m (20ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of this Cornus is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic. This plant is a cross between Cornus florida, Cornus kousa, and Cornus nuttallii.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, To grow in a pot, Fruit - Ornamental, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)