Carpinus betulus 'Pendula'
(Weeping Hornbeam) A beautiful, weeping selection of our native hornbeam with veined, lush green leaves which turns mustard-yellow in a good, crisp autumn. In our opinion it is best to train the main leader up a cane to the desired height.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A beautiful, weeping selection of our native hornbeam with veined, lush green leaves which turns mustard-yellow in a good, crisp autumn. In our opinion it is best to train the main leader up a cane to the desired height.
After the Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' reaches this height, remove the support and allow it to weep down. This gives you the opportunity to essentially set the height of this plant to whatever you desire.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil. Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' grows to be a small, weeping tree.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft)
- Spread: 6 - 8 m
- Notes: We have a specimen of Carpinus betulus 'Pendula', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. It is 10 years old, has reached a height of 3 m, a spread of 2 m and is shown in the photos. If necessary, remove any vertical leaders once this has reached a height you are happy with to keep it at a smaller size.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Habit - Weeping
- On sale!
- On sale!