Carpinus betulus 'Pendula'
(Weeping Hornbeam) A beautiful, weeping selection of our native hornbeam with veined, lush green leaves which turns mustard-yellow in a good, crisp autumn. In our opinion it is best to train the main leader up a cane to the desired height.
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Highlands
Free delivery for orders over £75*
You can also order by calling our office on 01530 413700
A beautiful, weeping selection of our native hornbeam with veined, lush green leaves which turns mustard-yellow in a good, crisp autumn. In our opinion it is best to train the main leader up a cane to the desired height.
After the Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' reaches this height, remove the support and allow it to weep down. This gives you the opportunity to essentially set the height of this plant to whatever you desire.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil. Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Carpinus betulus 'Pendula' grows to be a small, weeping tree.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft)
- Spread: 6 - 8 m
- Notes: We have a specimen of Carpinus betulus 'Pendula', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. It is 10 years old, has reached a height of 3 m, a spread of 2 m and is shown in the photos. If necessary, remove any vertical leaders once this has reached a height you are happy with to keep it at a smaller size.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy, Soil Type: Alkaline, Soil Type: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Habit - Weeping
- On sale!