Carpinus betulus 'Globus'
(Hornbeam) A sought after and slow growing selection of hornbeam, Carpinus betulus 'Globus' grows into a distinctive, tear-shaped small tree.
However following government guidelines our nursery site is closed to visitors for the time being.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
A sought after and slow growing selection of hornbeam, Carpinus betulus 'Globus' grows into a distinctive, tear-shaped small tree. The leaves are dark green in spring, summer and turn a rich mustard-yellow in autumn. The architectural habit makes this tree handsome even in the depths of winter without a leaf on it!
Carpinus betulus 'Globus' is a very striking tree but is very slow growing and definitely best suited for a patient gardener!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil. Carpinus betulus 'Globus' is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Very slow when young but slow to moderate once established.
- Habit: Carpinus betulus 'Globus' grows to be a small tree with a dramatic, tear-like habit.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, To grow in a pot
You might also like